About Me

My photo
41, (how the fuck did that happen?) Married to Bart two dogs Kira and Cooper (white German Shepard's) two brothers one sister 1 niece 2 nephews. Live in Milton Keynes.

Sunday 17 August 2008

Something joined me on my walk today




Grass snake


Female adder

I was out this afternoon with the dogs on our daily walk. We had been out for a while and as one of the dogs has quite bad arthritis we often stop along the way. We had just had a pit stop where the dogs polished off some KFC popcorn chicken and were just setting back off on our way. I had to keep looking back because the dogs were doing the thing that they do - sniffing each and every step of the way - so they need a little persuading to move along.

So once again I look back to hurry them up and I saw a SNAKE! Not a fat snake but it must have been 4 ft long. It was right where I had just stepped not two seconds earlier, so we stopped again and I took this video on my phone.

[I can't seem to get the video to copy onto the laptop at the moment so I will update it as soon as I figure out how to do it. Until then I've added are some pictures above from Google images.]

I have seen a snake out on a walk before but this was years ago and it was just a fleeting glance. This time as you can see the snake was just sitting there basking in the sun. I actually stayed for a while and just watched in wonder.

I am pretty sure that it was an adder rather than our other native the grass snake. The UK has only two snakes the grass snake (harmless) and the adders (venomous). So I guess I am lucky that I didn't step on it.

No comments: