About Me

My photo
41, (how the fuck did that happen?) Married to Bart two dogs Kira and Cooper (white German Shepard's) two brothers one sister 1 niece 2 nephews. Live in Milton Keynes.

Tuesday 12 August 2008

I am so sorry


I have to admit to drinking a little more than I should and swearing a little too much at times, bit I like to think that I know where to draw the line and where common decency and manners should start. Apparently not all of my country men and women have the same sense of self control or awareness.

I saw this on MSN news today and it made me feel ashamed to be British, I travel a bit and just hate to think that I would leave the people of that place with the impression that the people described below are what all British people are really like.

So if you have been unlucky enough to meet these people I am so sorry.

Brits gone wild
As officials in Zante hold crisis talks over the drunken, violent and lewd behaviour of UK tourists, we recap the most cringe-worthy Brits-abroad sins of recent years.
British revellers have been wreaking havoc in Greece, causing local authorities to call for action.

Perhaps the mayor of the Greek seaside resort of Faliraki put it best. “Mercifully our clientele this summer is a wonderful mix of people from all over Europe who know how to peacefully enjoy their time…There are far fewer Britons.”

Oh dear. It’s a rather embarrassing fact that in large swathes of Europe – and, increasingly, elsewhere – the annual influx of British holidaymakers is welcomed by bar owners and dreaded by just about everyone else. During the summer months, the unsightly antics of boozed-up, lobster-skinned Brits make front pages from Majorca to Marrakech, Ibiza to Istanbul.

Last year, a Foreign Office report revealed the extent of our shame. In 2005–6, 1,368 Brits were arrested in America, 955 hospitalised in Greece and 6,000 lost their passports in Spain.

Meanwhile, another report revealed what everyone already knew: most 16- to 30-year-old Brits don’t go on holiday for the local culture or cuisine, but an all-too-predictable potpourri of binge drinking and casual sex.

So if you think you can stomach the full horror click here.

8 comments:

Fiona said...

You know, I think this is mostly just annual hand-wringing over very little.

I mean, we've had a reputation as total arseholes for decades! And it's true yet not true. So I figure you just have to take it all with a grain of salt.

You're delightful, and we'd love you to come be a tourist here.

bugboys69 said...

I was hoping you would say that.

You are right this comes up in the news on a regular basis but some of the stupid shit people do when they are away from home makes the mind boggle.

Fiona said...

Too true. On the overall scheme of such things, though, being drunk and stupid isn't so bad.

I mean, the things people say about tourism in some countries - tourism for sex, for example - make going to Greece and getting drunk seem positively innocent. Sweet, even.

bugboys69 said...

You're right.

I guess the annual drink as much as you can and poke as many as you can, are just a right of passage for many of our youngsters. I still remember those days myself.

I do love how you make binge drinking sound so innocent, such a positive attitude I truly love that about you xx.

bugboys69 said...

Love the new blog banner by the way

Fiona said...

Thanks, darling. Can you tell I'm avoiding real work? Or, at least, I was avoiding real work last night.

I think it's a little spooky, though. I'll probably change it regularly, and for something a little less, "I'm watching."

You know?

Fiona said...

Thanks, darling. Can you tell I'm avoiding real work? Or, at least, I was avoiding real work last night.

I think it's a little spooky, though. I'll probably change it regularly, and for something a little less, "I'm watching."

You know?

bugboys69 said...

I didn't get the spooky thing at all. Keep it I love it.