About Me

My photo
41, (how the fuck did that happen?) Married to Bart two dogs Kira and Cooper (white German Shepard's) two brothers one sister 1 niece 2 nephews. Live in Milton Keynes.

Tuesday 1 July 2008

So who did I see?

Well we are now home and much rested. I emerged from my pit at 12 noon Tuesday and then went for a lovely South American lunch (thanks Bart).



So there was so much to experience (and we did) that there is no way that I can fit it into one post. I think I will start with my list of acts that were unmissable as far as I was concerned. Some unfortunately were missed, due mostly to the massive scale of the site (8 miles wide), combined with our inexperience and some rescheduling that we were unaware of. So who on my list did I actually get to see?




0) Dizzee Rascal. At the Park stage.

No.

After at least a 2 mile hike up to the Park stage from our caravan, we found it was packed. We got a spot at the back of the crowd where we found a place with a somewhat distant view of the stage and waited with anticipation. A cheer went up and the band came on stage but it was the wrong band. It was in fact Franz Ferdinand - not my cup of tea - so we decided to just head off back to Mabel. It was pitch dark by this point and there was just a small metal track to follow back down the hill, with tents pitched right up to the track meaning you had be careful where you put your feet. We made our way gingerly home. What would you know as soon as we opened the door to the caravan I could hear Dizzee far off in the distance. My first big disappointment.



1) Cuban Brothers. At Dance East.

Yes

Again there was a mammoth trek to the dance village. I was already late as we had spent about 2 hours in a queue for water so we would be able to have a shower later. Bart stayed in the line for the water and was to join me as soon as he could.

Anyway I got to Dance East about half way through the set. I have to say I was not disappointed this time. The show was brilliant I loved it. We have to go and see them as soon as we can. The dancing was great, I can't get over how someone with a beer belly almost as big as mine can throw a windmill and spin on his head like that. It was not only amazing to see but it also filled me with hope and admiration.


2) Hot Chip. At the Other Stage.

Yes

We didn't quite get to see the full set as we hadn't realised that all of the different areas were so far apart. So baring this in mind we ended up with a bit of a clash in the schedule. We saw all of Ronnie Size then got the last two songs from Hot Chip. What we did see was good and apparently was well received by the critics. Radio1 anyway.

3) Fatboy Slim.

No,

We managed to miss Mr Slim's set altogether. From memory it was just too late. I was disappointed not to get to see him but old age is a killer and bed was just too tempting an offer.


4) Massive Attack. At the Other Stage.

Yes

What a great show. The Other Stage was just the right place for them. Remember that they were playing at the same time as Jay Z on the Pyramid Stage. Apparently there where 70,000 at his performance I would say that there must have been 40,000 with us to see Massive Attack. The light show and stage set were great and the sound was awesome. With bone shaking base and dark menacing overtones. Shame on me I thought that Bart was getting bored so I made him leave to a nearby DJ set. That was rubbish. I would recommend them as a must-see band if they happen to be touring near you.




5) Goldfrapp. At the Pyramid Stage.

Yes

The sun came out and the crowds cleared enough that we had a good vantage point. Best of all they were flawless. The sometimes ethereal vocal style of Mrs Goldfrapp bathed the sunlit crowd and is a performance that will definitely stay with me. Check them out if you can.

I think I will leave the other 5 on the list until a later post.

No comments: