About Me

My photo
41, (how the fuck did that happen?) Married to Bart two dogs Kira and Cooper (white German Shepard's) two brothers one sister 1 niece 2 nephews. Live in Milton Keynes.

Wednesday 14 May 2008

How times change




Check out this old-style Gypsy caravan.

I stumbled across this today while looking on the net for a caravan for our summer trips to Glastonbury and Bug Jam. To my surprise I came across this little beauty on Ebay. I remember seeing this kind of van all over the place when I was a kid - at fun fares, circuses and just parked up by the roadside. It's a rare sight nowadays, I can't remember the last time I saw one.


This kind of made me think about the loss of culture or at least the ways that culture changes. Things disappear and you don't realise they've gone. My Nan for example had lace doilies over the back of her furniture. My Mum, now a Nan herself, would rather die.

This is a real cultural time capsule. Not my taste of course but you have to admire the workmanship. Remember the glass cabinets would traditionally be packed full of the best china the family owned. I guess as a kind of status symbol.

No comments: