About Me

My photo
41, (how the fuck did that happen?) Married to Bart two dogs Kira and Cooper (white German Shepard's) two brothers one sister 1 niece 2 nephews. Live in Milton Keynes.

Friday 5 September 2008

Smart thinking



After talking about the Smart car winning the Cannonball 3000 a couple of posts ago, I got to thinking about the fun that I have had on the Smart London to Brighton rally. A select group of close friends and I went on the first five of these annual events but regrettably we have missed the last couple. As I work for MBUK we have always been lucky enough to be given some of the best cars to use on the day. One year in particular I was given the opportunity of driving the first leg in a Crossblade (see above picture). As you can see this model is a little different, it has no roof, no windscreen and no doors. There is just a cross bar keeping you in, a bit like a roller coaster mechanism but on the side rather than the front so snowboarding goggles and a crash helmet are recommended. It is not the fastest car I have ever driven but it is without doubt one of the most fun. We had people waving at us from bridges en route, and drivers flashing lights and waving all the way to Brighton.


The second Smart London to Brighton run will take place on Saturday September 27.

Smart move: the Smart London to Brighton rally 2002


The run starts at Kempton Park in south London and finishes at Black Rock Car Park in Brighton. Prizes will be awarded for the best modified Smart and the most unusual and creative car.

The rally follows on from the success of last year's inaugural event, jointly organised by Thesmartclub and DaimlerChrysler, in which more than 800 Smart owners took part.


Sarah, the friend I talked about in the 'Small but mighty' post gave me a birthday gift the year after the Crossblade event. The gift was a book titled Smart thinking, it records the history so far of the Smart car and the people who love them.

I thought that this was a really nice gift and thanked her. Sarah then opened the book at page 199 chapter 14 (smart & fans) somewhere near the middle and guess who was looking back at me from the full page picture. That's right it was me, in full glory in the Crossblade on Brighton beach. My glamorous co driver is Sarah herself but you can't really tell as she had just opened the door (bar) and covered her face. You just have to trust me she is gorgeous.

Here are some pictures taken on various London to Brighton runs. As you can see fun and laughter are guaranteed.



Obviously this is not me but it's a good picture of the car. I will add my pictures as soon as I can figure out where they are.

No comments: